Wednesday, November 14, 2007

COMPANY


My wife and I just said goodbye. Calm down, not to each other!!! We said goodbye to company. We had a houseguest for the past week. I love how having someone different in your home, even for a short time, causes a domino effect with normal day-to-day routines. It is healthy to mess up your schedules once in a while. It stops life from getting boring and causes you to look up from the rut that you sometimes do not even recognize that you are in.

The obvious problem I have had the past few days is that we have been so busy going out and entertaining that I have not had time to sit down and work on this week’s blog. Now that I finally have the time to write I am quickly approaching my self -imposed deadline and I find myself without anything to write about. My mind is all over the place. I keep bouncing from topic to topic without focusing long enough on anything.

Originally I started writing about our houseguest, an old college friend of my wife’s that flew in from Taipei. There were some very minor cultural differences to deal with but I think we all seemed to have a very nice time. My wife and I tried to be good hosts and attempted to pack the days and nights with lots of activities. Well at least we certainly ate a lot.

Things went very well. Too well. Boringly well. Before the week began I assumed I would get at least a couple of blogs worth of stories out of the visit but in reality there is not much to say. You would think taking a Taiwanese woman fresh off the plane to a southern style gospel music Sunday morning brunch would have generated at least one minor anecdote to write about. The situations were there but the wackiness never ensued. Maybe I should write about my childhood dog named Pussycat instead.

The only thing that struck me as odd about our guest was her habit of taking a photograph of every meal she was served. I guess I should have asked her if this was something common where she was from or is this just something that she does. Maybe it is some long-term art project. I can imagine walking into a gallery and seeing an instillation consisting of five year’s worth of dated photos of every meal consumed by the artist. Hmmm, maybe I should start doing that. Nah, it would just depress me to look at the massive quantities of bad food I choose to eat. Then again it might work as a good diet plan. Feeling hungry? Go sit in the photographic massive food quantities room.
Years ago when I was on the road for work I visited friends all the time. I tried my best to be an excellent houseguest but sometimes my visits lasted a long time. My friends would always assure me that it was ok to stay longer but I often felt like I was intruding into their lives or overstaying my welcome. I do not really know if I was one of those guests that you love seeing come as much as you like seeing leave. Now that I am the one that has settled down I find that it’s fun to be the host. So when are you coming over?

No comments: